A Day in the Life of a Crossroads Learner
Our school week includes:
- Reading and Maths therapy
- All Psychological, Speech, Occupational and Learning Support therapies occur during the school day
- Physical Education
- Technology and Computers
- Music Foundation Phase
- Drama Senior Phase
We strongly encourage children to participate in our sports and cultural activities in the afternoon. Please refer to the extra-mural tab for these details.
A Plan for Every Child
At Crossroads School we recognise that every child has unique challenges. We use Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) to ensure that teaching is tailored to meet each individual’s learning ability whilst following the CAPS Curriculum. Our learners may have experienced a vulnerability in learning and additional support is provided through a trans-disciplined approach.
This consists of:
- Classroom Educators
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Educational Psychologists
- Learning Support Therapists
Crossroads School emphasises collaborative team-work between not only learners, but parents, therapists and teachers. The involvement of all concerned with the learners, allows an understanding to develop whereby the learner is given unspoken freedom to flourish and the opportunity to excel in all aspects of growth and development. The skills that are taught in various therapies are reinforced in the classroom setting which allows all learners to cement these skills in practice. This serves to allow the learner to deal with further education in a focused, disciplined and confident manner.
Crossroads is continually evolving our programmes used to enhance learning based on ever-increasing research and development of new innovations.
Currently some of these include:
- CEA – Cognitive Enrichment Advantage. CEA is all about ‘learning to think and thinking to learn’. The program instils ‘Building Blocks of Thinking and Tools of Learning’ preparing our learners with a broad range of metacognitive thinking skills.
- COGMED – “Cogmed is the single most scientifically validated method that improves working memory and attention. Working memory is key to the brain’s processing capacity. It is vital for concentration, reasoning, learning and resisting distractions.”
- RAVE-O – Reading, Automaticity, Vocabulary, Engagement with Language and Orthography. RAVE-O is an evidence based, researched reading intervention program that is used across Crossroads School.
- Numicon equipment – facilitates a better grasp of conceptual maths – Numicon is a distinctive multi-sensory approach to children’s mathematical learning that emphasises three key aspects of doing mathematics:
- – communicating mathematically
- – exploring relationships
- – solving problems in everyday life experiences (generally)
Cultural and Sporting extra-murals are an important and necessary part of holistic development for our learners in our school’s life. We offer a range of activities that children can attend after the academic day and we encourage them to be responsible in all they commit to.
School-offered extra-murals include:
Other extra-murals offered at an extra cost include:
- Kids Coding
- and more!
An updated timetable is available from the office or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Aftercare is offered to all children by Joanne Harrison (082 336 8768 / 076 818 9039). Joanne and her team have a holistic approach to Aftercare and value the family unit to work alongside them in offering your child the best care and support. They have an open-door policy and welcome you to come in and talk to them at any time.
The Aftercare Centre is managed independently from the school but is located on the school’s premises for your convenience.
Joanne graduated as an educator and has a passion for children and adults with remedial and special needs. She has been involved with teaching and managing various education centres, catering for children and young adults of different education levels for the past few years.
Thokozile is a qualified nurse with experience working with children in this field and has a passion for remedial and special needs children.
Contact email@example.com for enrolment and further information.
Crossroads School has an independently run tuck shop that is open during the school’s two breaks: 10:00-10:30 and 12:00-12:20.
The price list and selection is available from the school’s communication system or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.